Friday, October 30, 2009

Craziest Day of My Life!

And that's saying something!
So, this morning I was doing my physics like the industrious student that I am,
*looks angelic*
when my mother came down and handed me the phone. It was the stage manager for Alice in Wonderland. She told me: "So...[the girl who plays the Caterpillar/Alice's Sister (who I'm understudying)] isn't feeling well today. They're going to try to get her better before tonight's show, but I just wanted to make sure you were prepared to go on." I was pretty much in a state of shock at that point, so I murmured my "Okays" "Mhhhmmms" and "Of courses" without thinking. As soon as I hung up, I recalled that this was the one night that I had a conflict with the show!!! I had to go to work!
*smacks head*
So, I called the SM back immediately, and told her I had to work(I'd told them about the conflict when I agreed to understudy, so that was all good). But, I promised I would contact work and see if there was any way possible to get my shift covered. I was pretty darn sure the answer would be no. They had told us at a meeting that we wouldn't be able to find subs for the Halloween event-they were short-staffed as it was.
Soooooo....yeah....
I finally got a hold of work, and instead of saying: "Sorry, NO." like I expected her to, my boss said: "Welllllll, I'll see what we can do..." We tried to work stuff out, but we couldn't find anyone who wasn't working that night who could cover for me. Eventually, I said: " You know what? It's okay. I'll just come on in to work as normal." So, I called the stage manager-she was completely understanding, but I could tell she was very, ridiculously, horribly stressed. I felt terrible, but I went off to work.
In the car, my cell phone rang-it was my work. They had decided to let me off, so I'd be able to do the show! So, I went in for the first hour and a half of my shift, then rushed off to do Alice. I've never heard anyone sound as relieved as that stage manager did when I called her to tell her the news!
So, then there was the small task of memorizing lines. Eep. The thing is, I only learned about a week ago that I was understudying this show. And the first and only time I've seen the show was on Tuesday. So, in the car, in between driving and practicing my lines, I was praying my head off. Today was one of those days that I totally felt that God had to be in control. Because I for sure wasn't.
Somehow, thanks to the wonderful, amazing cast, I made it through the show. I'm sure my guardian angel was having the time of his life helping me out! It was just crazy. There was this moment during the preshow when I was sitting on the stage reading a book, and I realized-this was it. This wasn't just pretend. I couldn't put the show on time-out, and run check my script really quick. This was the real deal, and I somehow had to get through the whole thing, no matter how badly I goofed things up. Thankfully, I didn't goof things up too horribly. It was crazy, wild and insane, but somehow God just guided me through it.
I think these are the days that I live for. This is why I love theatre-it's messy and imperfect and ridiculous, but somehow it all works out, and something beautiful is created. It's kind of like life-somehow God makes a work of art out of our confusing, lovely, and often crazy lives. We just have to trust Him and be not afraid.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Have I ever told you that you rock my socks off? I love you! I'm glad everything went well. And at least your guardian angel helped you with your work--I never got help with my homework. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, what a life you lead! It makes deadlines for seminar papers and halloween dances without costumes seem like so much cotton candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cordy--I probably needed both my guardian angel's and Freddy's help to get through yesterday!! Maybe that's why he wasn't allowed to help you with homework...Which means I think we're supposed to have a Renee-helps-Brittany-with-homework party soon?

    Portia---PUH-leeze!! You are a rockstar-I tremble with dread when I even so much as hear a mention of the name Euclid... *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, well, Euclid makes me tremble with fright too. Fortunately, we're discussing definitions for the moment -- no need to perform anything at the blackboard for the next couple of classes.

    ReplyDelete