Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Day In The Life Of A College Student

"I go, I go, look how I go!"
~Puck, A Midsummer's Night Dream by William Shakespeare

Wowwy, it is hard to imagine that I have been at the College of St. Benedict for a whole month. Saying my first goodbye to my family is still so painfully vivid in my mind, but at the same time it seems as though I have been in classes, slipping slowly into madness over homework and tramping around campus for eons. Here is a little glimpse into my daily routine. Well, before I go into all that I must first explain what is known as the six day cycle. Fortunately, the six day cycle does not mean that we have classes on Saturday (that would be just a little too much for my sanity to bear). Let us say that Monday is day one, then Tuesday is day two and so on and so forth (you get the idea). Then, after these five days of classes, we have that glorious interim that we all know and love, the weekend. The following Monday is then day six and Tuesday is now day one. This makes for a nice even cycle of classes that is rather confusing if not down right mind boggling to the poor college student who has to commit this all to memory. Anyway, with out further ado, A Day In the Life Of a College Student.


Days 1-3-5

6:30 - Slog... erm, I mean, spring out of bed, shower, finish up any extra studying
8:00 - head to breakfast, study
9:00 - catch bus to St. John's, say daily rosary during ten to fifteen minute trip
9:40-10:50 - Music Skills class, ready... set... SIGHT SING!!!
11:06 - Catch bus back to St. Ben's
11:20-12:30 - Education class, Teaching In a Diverse World
12:46: Catch bus to St. John's again, arrive at campus, run like a person possessed in the cross-campus dash to the quadrangle, sprint up five flights of stairs
1:00-2:10 - First Year Seminar on sociology and immigration
2:15 - mosey on over to the music building
2:40-3:50 - Chamber Choir
4:06 - Catch bus to St Ben's one more time
4:30-10:00 - Study, do homework, squeeze in supper, call family
10:30 - Pass out... heh, heh... go to bed


Days 2-4-6

6:30 - Wake up, shower, study
8:00 - Go to breakfast, study
9:00 - Catch bus to St. John's
9:40-10:50 - Comprehensive Musicianship, major-minor sevenths, melodic minor scales, compound duples, triples and quadruples, can you comprehend it?
11:20-12:30 - English, Reading Fiction and Poetry, in short you take fiction and you take poetry and... you read it!
12:35 - Lunch! (or something like it)
12:45 - Catch bus back to St. Ben's
1:00-2:00 - Study
2:10-3:10 - Service learning at St. Joseph Lab School study buddy program (aka Help Third Graders With Homework Hour)
3:30 - Voice lesson
4:15-10:00 - Head back to dorm to study, have supper, call family
10:30 - Crash

2 comments:

  1. *snort* You study what in seminar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gosh, what a schedule!!
    This was my favorite part: :)
    "run like a person possessed in the cross-campus dash to the quadrangle, sprint up five flights of stairs"
    That should be a new Olympic sport! London 2012 or bust! I'm smelling a gold medal for Cece...

    ReplyDelete