Saturday, June 26, 2010
See? We're Not the Only Ones
Interesting article in the StarTribune on Thursday about a group of women who vowed to wear more dresses this summer. Coincidence, or are women finally tired of the jeans-and-T-shirt look that has become a staple of our grunge culture?
Labels:
beauty,
clothes,
Elegance,
Fashion,
Femininity,
Femininity Summit 2010,
Our Crazy Culture,
summer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is crazy, but I just had a conversation last night no one less than A NUN!!
ReplyDeleteShe had a beautiful gray habit with a blue scapular and veil. When I commented on how feminine and pretty she looked, she told me that all I have to do is become a nun.
It happened that two other girls were in the room with us. On the coffee table in front of me were pictures that one of them had taken in India. What surprised me was that all the women in the pictures were wearing gorgeous saris in amazing colors. She told me that all the women wore them(including the poorest people, a.k.a. one of the places she visited was Calcutta). She went to major cities in India and saw almost all of the women wearing saris.
My friend who went to India said that a guy over there asked why women in America like to wear train worker's clothing(jeans) and did not wear feminine clothes.
The point is, why do we wear jeans? Why can't we wear skirts and dresses and beautiful things. Wouldn't it be great to see Americans wearing dresses and skirts? I started thinking about how nice it would be to wear beautiful clothes instead of jeans and a sweatshirt. My neighbor is from Sri Lanka and has a whole closet full of saris. My closet has things called t-shirts and jeans. Since the Feminity Summit is underway, I believe it is of great importance to start thinking about what feminity looks like and how can we bring it back into the culture. I told the girls last night that I would love to wear a sari everyday, but is that realistic? Of course I'm not brave enough to actually wear one farther than my bedroom.
But honestly, for all that the culture tells us about "wearing whatever you want" it doesn't really like people who are not wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I wore jeans and a t-shirt almost every day last week. Jeans are not always hideous, in fact they are often cute. However, the point of this post is to say that there are things much cuter than jeans.
Continuing on, last week I stumbled upon: http://www.modestclothing.com/(See what they have to wear on your head!)
When I first saw the website I thought what?, why?, this is plain old weird! Then, I started thinking and wondering and...
decided it would be much more fun to wear hats and scarves, and veils, and sunbonnets than an old sweatshirt and ponytail.
Then I saw a girl at Church wearing a veil at Mass, and it got me thinking..
and....
I still don't know why women wear veils to Mass. However, they are totally beautiful and part of the mystery of being a woman.
All these thoughts about clothes came from the fact that my wardrobe needs to be stocked for college. So I have begun soul searching for what I want my clothes to look like.
However, clothing should not be our main focus and I've already typed way too much. *Right?*
No, I think it was just the right amount of typing. ;) I enjoyed your thoughts very much.
ReplyDeleteAykay, so I really like this. It kind of goes off of the question you asked, Portia: "When did men stop wearing suits?"
ReplyDeleteWhen did we embrace the "grunge"? And I think it started in the '50's, with the whole greaser/cool boy/James Dean-jeans-and-a-t-shirt look. But, yes...
Actually, I just had a conversation about this with one of my friends at work-she loves wearing skirts and dresses, and she said people used to ask her why she was dressed up. And she always responded: "Dude, I'm more comfortable in my dresses and skirts than in pants!" So, yes, that was cool to hear...
Also, about the sari thing: I think I've mentioned multiple times how much I LOVE saris, and -if given a chance- would move to India in a heartbeat and wear saris for the rest of my life. Love them. They're beautiful.
There are a lot more thoughts whirling through my head- all of them stemming off of Mary's excellent comment. But it's too late to arrange them coherently... :P