Her quotes and stories are so inspiring.
This may come as a surprise, but there used to be two saints/holy persons who I detested: Mother Teresa and The Little Flower(St. Therese) *scandalized gasp*
My reason for disliking them was simple. Why did they get so much attention? Why didn't everyone pray to St. Benedict, St. Dyphna, St. Gianna, St. Alexander, or St. Peter? This made me mad. Why was everyone praying and talking about St. Therese and Mother Teresa. It was simply unfair in my mind.
Over time I started to read things about these two holy people and started to realize that they had very interesting, modern stories. I even said a Novena to St. Therese. Now I love them!
However, that was not the point of this post. The point of this post was to punctually portray that the precious precautions of childhood and teenager are almost over for me! My eighteenth birthday is fast approaching! When reading the book on Mother Teresa I found out that she joined the convent at eighteen.
Eighteen.
Going to college does not seem like a major step any more. Past history contains the stories of countless girls who were married, joining convents, or doing amazing things by the tender age of eighteen.
So, young Catholic women: go!
You are sent!
Change the world!
One little brother, one paper, one annoying alarm clock at a time!
Or do like Ben Barron: hit the alarm clock three times in honor of the Trinity!

Happy 18th (whatever day your birthday happens to be on!)!! I just turned 18 a few days ago! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteThis was so true. I felt the same way about St. Therese. She was way too holy and I felt intimidated, which isn't how we should feel in the presence of holiness at all! I think it was definitely pride on my part that was holding me back from loving St. Therese as I ought to have. Thank you for this post dear!
ReplyDeleteHappy (early)18th Birthday, Jessica!!!! Love the post! I felt the same way, too! They were so holy I felt like I could never be like them! But, I learned that they should be our role models and we should learn to follow them step-by-step!
ReplyDeleteHaha!! The alarm thing's so funny!
EXCELLENT post, dear! I remember feeling the exact same thing, and then I actually read their writings, and realized how completely awesome and amazing they are!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Mother Teresa and St. Therese were a few of the first saints I learned about, since it's my baptismal name (St Therese is my saint!), but if not, I would probably have felt that way too... (It's just how my mind works about "fairness" sometimes. :?)
ReplyDeleteThey are so inspiring and reading their writings really helped me strengthen my faith. My blog title is inspired by Mother Teresa ^^
~ Jessica