While reading the newspaper a month ago, I came across an op-ed piece that would have been just another LA Times column were it not for the very last paragraph of the article. The author, who interestingly enough is a man, offers a thought that I didn't expect to see coming from this paper.
"Women civilize men. As a general rule, men will only be as civilized as female expectations and demands will allow. "Liberate" men from those expectations, and "Lord of the Flies" logic kicks in."
There's even a nod to the fact that not all "liberated women" (his words) proudly embrace the label "feminist" without reserve.
Full article here.
(Once I finally got around to posting this, the author, Jonah Goldberg, had another interesting column on the differences between "monsters" and "victims". As he puts it, "monster stories once told us that evil exists and that we shouldn't assume all motives are good and kind. [...] Meanness is no longer innate, it's the unfortunate side effect of being misunderstood, the forgivable self-defense mechanism of victims." Even Cookie Monster has suffered. Plus, he works in the Greek word telos, or final purpose of a thing. Major kudos for him.)
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good articles. Really, really good articles. Decent Films has one very much like that second one, and I think it's full of really valid points.
ReplyDeleteThat first one is *really* interesting. Really, really interesting. I'd love to have a discussion with Mr. Goldberg....
^I know. I'm actually starting to look forward to his columns. Pretty much all the other ones get a skim or an outright pass. I miss the WSJ.
ReplyDeleteI'll save WSJs for you and send you a whole package-good newspapers are a rare delight!
ReplyDeleteEsp. the Personal Journal section! The LA Times has kinda wacky taste when it comes to artsy-fartsy stuff.
ReplyDeleteYes, definitely! :) And I have this awesome ND magazine that has some interesting articles, which I'll also send... :)
ReplyDelete