Tuesday, November 24, 2009

After school (which shall end in approx. 12 minutes), I'm helping a Guatemalan immigrant with his theatre homework. It should be interesting. Today he asked "why people wore their pants down to their knees". The question actually took me by surprise because every one I know is rather used to that fashion. He certainly isn't. I believe he will be a refreshing friend. I'm super excited to learn about his culture. I shall fill all of you in once I have more details. Maybe people in Guatemala actually dress decently. Whoo!

A week ago my school had a choir/band/orchestra concert. The orchestra was, ahem, pretty awful. I don't hold it against them since this orchestra was just formed, and consists of about 15 people total. Yeah, not good. Anyway, while they were performing their pieces, I was sitting in my chair wincing and squirming and wishing I had my iPod on hand so that I could listen to the New York Philharmonic. Anyway, as I was wincing, squirming, and wishing I had my iPod on hand so that I could listen to the New York Philharmonic, I realized something. Beautiful music sounds like it belongs in heaven, wouldn't you agree? Of course you do. Now, the music this school orchestra was playing certainly didn't sound like it belonged in heaven--more like purgatory. And then I had this thought: what if my life was like this music? What if my life caused Jesus to wince and squirm (I can't picture Jesus listening to an iPod, so I'll leave that out of there)? Lately I've been in the worst spiritual state possible--lukewarm. I've been trying to change it, but I'm so easily distracted that I can't stay in prayer for 10 seconds. To continue: if my life is like a squeaky orchestra, wouldn't Jesus want it to be a beautiful philharmonic? After all, HE'S the one listening to the distasteful sounds day after day. So this is my "spiritual object: a violin. St. Therese's "spiritual object" was a violet. Her simple beauty and fragrance brought great glory and happiness to Jesus. I want my violin to bring sweet music to His ears. Right now that violin is a little rusty, but I think with continuing practice it will grow into a graceful melody of beautiful notes.

School is over. I'm off to help Navin (aka the Guatemala student).

2 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts, dear! Nice post. Yeah, music is definitely something supernatural. E.g., in The Giver, The Giver dude is the only one who can hear music-he has the "Capacity-to-Hear-Beyond." Or think of August Rush-God's put music in the world all around us. I love music. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Giver dude". HAHAHAHA! I love you!

    I love music, too. Let's make music with our voices!

    ReplyDelete