Friday, May 18, 2012

Fashion Friday: Pinup Style Edition

(Yet another installment in our sporadically-updated series. Tune in for the next episode sometime in the fall!)

Speaking of the unrealistically skinny appearance of most models, I found this article about a trend in which girls take inspiration from pinups from the 40s and 50s, saying “to women who have grown up with the spray-tanned, skinny models as their beauty ideal, this look is new and refreshing, and even groundbreaking” and that it “'is a way of being feminine without looking like a little girl in pigtails and ruffles. Wearing stockings and high heels, there’s something fundamentally adult about that'...They draw on a pervasive nostalgia for 'more innocent days when sexuality wasn’t portrayed as so hard core and in your face.'”

It's certainly interesting, but at the same time I'm more than a little meh about embracing something that was originally about the objectification of women, even if it does involve a far more realistic approach to women's figures and a much more classy/glamorous way of dressing. You can dress in a chic and classy way without necessarily taking your inspiration from pinups. Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for following my blog!

    I'm torn on the pinup topic too. On the one hand, these women are exposing less of their bodies and look cute in the process. On the other hand, those images did objectify their subjects when they were made. Cultural meanings change, but do we still support pornography when we make pinups cool?

    Also, this collection of men in pinup poses shows how ridiculous those classic images could be. http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/men-ups-manly-men-in-classic-pin-up-poses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how changing the context ever so slightly makes the ridiculousness (ridiculosity?) so much more apparent.

      Ultimately, I think you can find enough inspiration for that style of dressing without turning to pinups (no matter how innocent they look next to today's pornography). It's still objectification.

      And your blog looks really great. I confess I patted myself on the back a little when I got the reference in your title without having to look anything up. ;)

      Delete