Friday, January 7, 2011

The Charming Young Lady

I just talked to someone today....who talked to a priest (Fr. D no less)...who told her:

We need charming young ladies.

Brilliant.

This idea is my theme of the day (or since I got it this afternoon.)

Having a charming* personality is needed in our society. It is precisely related to true modesty and true virtue.


*Coffee may aid in the attainment of such a characteristic :)

3 comments:

  1. Precisely, my dear!

    But what exactly *is* charming? (Did Fr. D. expound at all? ) Because, charming, according to the dictionary, means "attractive and pleasant," and "charm" is: "the power or quality of giving delight or arousing admiration." So I suppose if you possess charm than you are charming-you give delight and arouse admiration. I feel this ties in very nicely with our Femininity Summit discussions about woman's role as an inspiration and a light to the world. As someone who draws others' minds up to higher things.

    How do we accomplish this? Discuss. :)

    (P.S. I've spent at least 5 minutes trying to figure out where the very happy and charming :) people in your picture are located. :) My current guess is Panera...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^I basically second everything you've said.

    It seems to me that charm is one of those things that, as a society, we've lost. We can never be bothered to try just a little bit to be nice for other people; we're always just concerned with "what I get out of it".

    It's like the lady who goes to the grocery store in curlers, sweats, and slippers -- maybe she has a genuine reason to step out in that get-up, but she doesn't have that sense of charm and poise -- she's just getting by with the bare minimum without striving to be a shining beacon of excellence in this muddled world of barely trying.

    This is just one of the many reasons why I'm frustrated that we've lost the notion of being a lady, that there is a standard out there of not just what I'm comfortable doing or what benefits me, but that you don't go out in public and let it all hang out, so to speak. A true lady is charming, poised, and is not so easy to understand that there are no mysteries about herself when she steps out in public. Like someone once said about the bikini -- "It reveals everything about a girl but her mother's maiden name."

    A lady has certain obligations to those around her precisely because she *is* a lady. She has a duty to uplift and guide those around her to a higher sphere of thought and deed. Sure, you may get the extra privilege of being respected and treated well by gentlemen, but you have responsibilities to fulfill as well. Noblesse oblige, after all.

    Most of that didn't have much to do with charm, but I'll suffer the consequences. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete